- Top result: New Land Rover Defender 110* achieves maximum five-star Euro NCAP safety rating
- Strong performance: Premium 4x4 scored 85 per cent for Child Occupant protection and 79 per cent for Safety Assist on its way to a five-star overall score
- Critical acclaim: Unstoppable New Defender has won 28 international awards and features Autonomous Emergency Braking technology capable of detecting both pedestrians and cyclists
- Defender family: Alongside the Defender 110 tested, the 4x4 line-up includes the compact Defender 90 and rugged Defender Hard Top commercial variants, in both 90 and 110 body designs
- Choose your model: 90 Hard Top priced from £35,820 OTR (ex. VAT), 110 Hard Top from £43,012 OTR (ex. VAT), Defender 90 from £43,625 OTR and 110 starting at £45,315 OTR in the UK
- Configure yours at: www.landrover.com/Defender
The award-winning New Land Rover Defender 110* has earned another five-star review – this time from the safety experts at Euro NCAP. Land Rover’s most capable and durable model ever has been awarded the maximum five-star rating in the latest round of test results.
The Defender combines state-of-the-art assisting technologies with an ultra-stiff aluminium-intensive body construction engineered to cope with rugged landscapes. Clever technologies available on Defender include Emergency Braking, Lane Keep Assist and Rear Collision Monitor†.
Six airbags are designed to protect the driver and passengers, while up to three ISOFIX mounting points are available. New Defender scored 85 per cent for Adult and Child Occupant protection, 79 per cent for Safety Assist and achieved a 71 per cent score for Vulnerable Road Users on its way to a five-star overall rating.
From the moment we started creating the New Defender, we were obsessed with functional safety and the protection of both the occupants and other road users. We set out to make a vehicle that is the most capable and durable Land Rover ever made, with safety features that truly enhance the driver’s experience. It’s an incredible honour to receive this recognition from Euro NCAP who have endorsed our New Defender with their five-star rating
Executive Director, Product Engineering, Jaguar Land Rover
Euro NCAP tested a New Defender 110*, but the tough 4x4 family also includes the compact Defender 90 and a pair of practical Hard Top commercial derivatives, which feature a fixed bulkhead behind the front seats and provide 2,059 and 1,355 litres of cargo space respectively.
Following its world premiere at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2019, Land Rover has experienced unprecedented demand for the new 4x4. This has been matched with critical acclaim – New Defender has already won 28 international awards.
Since its debut, Land Rover has also introduced its fuel efficient range of in-line six-cylinder Ingenium diesel engines with mild hybrid technology and its advanced P400e plug-in hybrid.This provides an all-electric range of up to 27 miles (43km) and CO2 emissions as low as 74g/km.**
Land Rover has also introduced the X-Dynamic specification, available on both Defender 90 and 110. It provides a selection of exterior and interior design elements reflecting the 4x4’s immense capability and ensuring it stands out from the crowd.
Advanced Driver Assistance Technologies
The comprehensive range of advanced driver assistance technologies available on Defender includes:
- Emergency Braking – Designed to detect if a potential frontal collision with another vehicle may occur and display a forward alert to warn the driver to brake. If the driver doesn't respond, the vehicle will deploy emergency braking to reduce the severity of the possible impact.
- Blind Spot Assist† – A flashing icon in the appropriate wing mirror helps alert the driver to obstacles in, or quickly approaching, your blind spot.
- 3D Surround Camera† – Assists the driver during low-speed manoeuvres using advanced camera technology to provide a 3D view of Defender in its environment on the central Pivi Pro display.
- Clear Exit Monitor† – Helps warn of a possible threat when preparing to open any door from the inside using sensors in the bumper to monitor approaching traffic.
- Adaptive Cruise Control† –​Maintains a safe distance from the vehicle in front. If the vehicle ahead stops, the technology will bring the vehicle to a smooth halt.
- Driver Condition Monitor – Designed to sense driver fatigue by monitoring steering, brake and accelerator inputs to provide alerts when tiredness is detected.
- Lane Keep Assist – Helps to detect unintentional lane drift and applies corrective counter-steering to maintain lane position.
- Rear Collision Monitor† – If a vehicle approaching from behind is not slowing down, the vehicle will attempt to alert the approaching driver by automatically flashing the hazard lights.
- Rear Traffic Monitor† – Designed to warn of vehicles, pedestrians or other hazards approaching from either side – particularly useful when reversing out of a parking bay.
- Traffic Sign Recognition and Adaptive Speed Limiter – Informs the driver of the current speed limit and adjusts the vehicle speed when entering new speed limit zones automatically.
- Wade Sensing – Ultrasonic sensors in the door mirrors provide real-time information about the water depth when wading.
- eCall+: System is designed to send an automatic message to an emergency call centre in case of a crash or collision, which includes additional location information and the number of seat belts in use.
- Multi Collision Brake: Automatically applies the brakes to prevent or mitigate a subsequent impact when the vehicle has been involved in a collision of sufficient severity.